Tis the season…for holiday themed episodes of your favorite shows! Just another thing I love about the Christmas season is the chance to add a new Christmas favorite to the stock stable of movies/TV episodes I routinely try and squish in every year starting December 1st.
On to a quick hits of some of my personal favorites!
* Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip “The Christmas Show” — this show only lasted one season, but this is a seriously great Christmas episode. I’ve actually even been able to show it to people not familiar with the show as a pretty decent stand-alone as well. It’s one of their funnier episodes, and devotes a part of the episode to New Orleans jazz musicians — a great timely reference, that is still moving years later. Also, good holiday romance plots.
* I did a whole post on it when the episode aired last week, but the Glee Christmas Episode was a very good one.
* Also briefly mentioned last week, was Community’s Christmas episode this year “Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas.” The entire episode was in traditional stop-motion style — an homage/parody of all those Rudolph and Santa stop-motion classics. Some funny current references (LOST creator Damon Lindelof apparently sent the Community writers a boxed set of LOST after the shout out), some really sweet earnest character moments and a hilarious new Christmas classic “the Christmas pterodactyl”. I personally don’t watch Community all that often, but still REALLY enjoyed this episode.
* As anyone who knows me is aware, I am a huge Disney kid. That said, I have loved many a Nickelodeon shows’ holiday episodes. Nickelodeon Episodes I Recommend:
As Told By Ginger “An Even Steven Holiday Special”
Hey Arnold “Arnold’s Christmas” (surprisingly sentimental for a kid’s show…definitely one of the most memorable though)
Rugrats “The Santa Experience” and “Chanukah”. Rugrats has actually had 4 or 5 holiday episodes, and have covered Christmas, Chanukah AND Kwanzaa. Thanks for being so informative and well-rounded, Rugrats!
* The TGIF shows of yore also produced some of my favorite Christmas episodes, including Full House’s “Our Very First Christmas Show” (they get stranded at an airport! On Christmas!), Boy Meets World’s “Santa’s Little Helpers” (Little Morgan freaks out when mall Santa has a heart attack) and “A Very Topanga Christmas” and Growing Pains “A Christmas Story”. Sadly these episodes are a little harder to track down…though Full House and Growing Pains are more readily available on DVD.
* iTunes also consideres A Charlie Brown Christmas a TV special, so in that case, yes yes a thousand times yes I love that one, too. Even if it just had the awesome music and the silly bobble-headed dancing, it is so worth it every year. Same goes to the original Grinch Who Stole Christmas.
So, anyone have any favorites to add to this list? I have a feeling I’m forgetting even some of my own favorites, as there are just so many! These definitely top the list though!