There were a lot of jerks and sadness and anger in this journey to Funkytown. Not that that means this was a bad episode — I really enjoyed “Funk” even if it had less laugh-out-loud quips than usual. We had Quinn! and (OMG!) the return of terrible Teri! I love Teri. Mr. Shue was a jerk, and Jesse St. James was confusing but still managed to break my little heart right along with Rachel’s.
Favorites Moments of “Funk”
* I generally liked all the musical numbers tonight, but it’s kind of hard to come up with a Best Song of the Night. I think I’m going with New Directions last number “Give up the Funk”. It was really fun and they had sweet costumes, and made Jesse St. James and the other Vocal Adrenalines all nervous for regionals. “Good Vibrations” is a really close second, because I really liked it a lot. However, I feel like we need to not encourage any more rapping on this show. Not all of the guys need to rap, Glee! It is not necessary! There are plenty of good songs that don’t require awkward rapping.
* Apparently, thanks to heads up from both my sister and Entertainment Weekly, there was some switching of air dates on the back end of the season. Which completely explains why Jesse was completely MIA last week (well mostly…still didn’t see him in Vocal Adrenaline’s numbers) only to have a dramatic breaking up with New Directions this week. Still – why, Jesse St. James, why?!?! Yea, New Directions didn’t warm to you right away, but you were there for like…3 weeks? I can’t believe he went through with egging Rachel. “Go ahead, do it. Break it like you broke my heart.” Yes, he is a total diva, and a somewhat shady human being. But he likes Rachel! Supposedly. Now he’s a complete asshat, and it makes me sad. I hope we see more of him after Regionals.
* Quinn was super pregnant again. Which makes sense since she’s about to pop, but not at all consistent with previous episodes. At least she was super pregnant the entire episode.That’s progress. I really liked her song “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” even though the choreography of the pregnant background dancers weirded me out a little bit. I get where she was coming from with the comparison to racism, but the reactions to it all were a little off. I’m glad we got more Mercedes/Quinn friendship scenes out of it though. I think I’m glad that Quinn is moving in with Mercedes? That poor girl has lived with like, half the glee club at this point though.
* THE RETURN OF TERI! I’m sorry, I know she iritates pretty much everyone else to no end, but I love Teri. I think she’s absolutely hilarious. Though I hope she’s not getting any ideas about using Finn as a 16-year-old-Mr-Shue replacement because…ew. Also — was she singing during “Losers”?! We saw her singing at the cash register, but didn’t hear her, and then she broke into Puck’s awesome fantasy so I’m not sure. The return of Terri and “Losers N’ Things”…I mean Sheets N’ Things, also meant the return of Sandy! Yay! All the crazy in one convenient location. Also “the iTunes” haha.
* I think my problem with all the Funk songs this week was not the songs themselves, but the fact that they all had incredibly awkward moments tied to them. For instance “Tell Me Something Good” was equal parts great and highly uncomfortable. I’m glad Mr. Shue recognized he needed to get out of his funk, and Sue is kinda evil, but he was pretty awful to her. “You know what Wednesday is? …Hump Day” *shudder*
Though it led to seeing Sue’s House of Trophies, so I guess it balanced out? “You’d make a great trophy husband, and as you can see by my decor, I love me some trophies”
* I love how, after Rachel is egged by Jesse St. James and the other VA kids, all the guys leap up to defend her. Yay Glee team camaraderie! “We’re gonna go all Braveheart on Vocal Adrenaline!” As Kurt puts it ”Rachel’s one of us — we’re the only ones who get to humiliate her.”
* No Brittany quotes! Gah! I guess these’ll have to do:
“You know, for me, trophies are like herpes. You try to get rid of them, but they just keep coming. You know why? Because Sue Sylvester has hourly flare-ups of burning, contagious, itchy talent.” — Sue
“I’m so depressed I wore the same outfit twice this week.” — Kurt
“Sorry. I have this compulsive need to crush other people’s dreams.” — Teri
I can’t believe next week is the season finale! That’s so depressing. Will Jesse St. James redeem himself, or are the Vocal Adrenaline kids gone for good after next week? Who wants to take bets on when Quinn goes into labor — before, during, or immediately following Regionals? My vote is for during the judging ceremony, but we shall see.